The Scorch Trials - James Dashner

The Scorch Trials is the second book in 'The Maze Runner' series. In a similar styling as the 'Hunger Games', James Dashner takes his teenagers into a whole new world where they have to fight to survive.

What I really liked about this book was the complexities of the characters. They keep growing and changing. In the first book, 'The Maze Runner', Teresa almost feels like she's been added to keep a feminine touch to the book, but in 'The Scorch Trials' her influence is felt more strongly. I also learned more about the relationship between the main character, Tom, and herself. It's deeper than I first thought and the friendship is severely tested throughout the book.

The main character, Tom, is still the same. Still determined to find out more about 'WICKED' and end the tests that have continued on from the first book. What I like about this character is that he shows loyalty - it's his biggest strength, but he's also flawed. He's stubborn and, at times, lacks faith. I still love him anyway.

James Dashner introduces new characters into this book. Aris, Jorge and Brenda are three new characters who join Tom and the others in the fun. While I'm not sure how I feel about Aris, I must admit to liking Jorge and Brenda - both known as Cranks. Both characters have a toughness about them that has been added to complement the characters of the others, who have been fan favorites since the first book.The world James Dashner has created is one easy to imagine, especially when I consider that there is a hole in the Ozone layer. But, the horrifying aspects of this world is not the scorching sun, but the technological monsters that have come from James Dashner's mind.

To find out more about these evil monsters, it is best to read the book, but I have found a quote that I just had to share. 'Newt was the one to answer. "Magic goop that eats people's heads, that's what it bloody was."'Yes, this book was as chilling as the first.

Now for the nitpicks - I try to find them to balance out the gush, but sometimes I have trouble because a book can be just that good, well, at least to me. Interpretation is up to the reader, after all.There is a lot of terms of speech that the characters use that may be confusing for some readers - like 'shuck'. If you use your imagination, I'm sure that you can understand what that word actually is. Swearing, in that style, happens a lot throughout the book.I also wonder why only teenagers are part of this whole trial thing. I understand that this is a young adult book, but, unless I've missed it, I don't understand why adults are only part of WICKED. Why were adults ruled out as part of the trial process?

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. Four out of five stars