Elixir Bound - Katie L. Carroll I had real trouble writing down my thoughts for this. The truth is I didn't know where to start. I think I was a bit intimidated by the fact that I was the third person to be reading this book on Goodreads and there didn't appear to be anyone else who wanted to. I have to say that seems like a very big mistake to me since I've read the book.This high fantasy book starts off with Katora, her family and a visit from a family friend. From there it leads off to the start of a great adventure. Katora is given the task of finding a rare plant and along the way has to decide if she wants to become the Guardian to the 'Elixir' - a potion that many creatures want to gain for their own nefarious gain - some believing that it gives the bearer immortality.It seems such as simple book if you look at the lines I wrote above, but the truth is it's not. What you fail to see is the journey. There was just something about the plot of this book that I really started to love. It helped that it was so well-written that I could picture some of the settings and what the characters were experiencing in my mind.From almost the first pages, I was comparing it to some of my favorite high fantasy books, such as Eragon, and I couldn't help thinking that this book - written by a debut Indie author - was right up there with them. Katora was a normal human - she didn't have any magical powers and neither did any of her family. And that's what I like about her and set her apart from others I've read about. She struggled with her quest, wondering if she was fit for it. There were times during the books where the decisions she should have made were taken out her hands forcibly. And on top of having to make a major life decision, she was a girl who was falling in love the first time.Hirsten was the son of a mapmaker and he was assigned to go with Katora and her brother and sister on the quest. He seemed rather sweet. He wasn't a stand out character, but there so many other secondary characters that had important parts to play as well. He had limitations with his maps, but overcome them when he and Katora were together.There were also interesting creatures in the book. Some that were friendly, others that were not and some that were just insane. I was kind of disappointed that there weren't more mythical creatures in the book with it being high fantasy. The pace of the book also disappointed me. It seemed there were long waits in between action scenes and it gave me time, even though it really good, to get bored. If the pace had been a little faster it would have been a book I wouldn't have been able to put down - even though I read it reasonably quickly anyway.To say that there was a lot more to the story is true, but I don't want to give anything away to the people who may want to read it. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes high fantasy - that's for sure.Anyway, now for my rating.4.5 out of five starsThis review can be found here http://magicalmanuscriptsandwritingthings.blogspot.co.nz/