Eve (Eve, #1) - Anna Carey There was something about this book that I found interesting and intriguing, but I just felt it...lacked something.Eve is about a girl named Eve who is all set to graduate and then finds out that she is destined to give birth to as many children as she can to repopulate the city as a virus and then the vaccine wiped out almost all of the human race. Once she discovers what the truth is she goes on the run, trying to find a safe haven where she can live in peace. Along the way she finds Caleb and then finds there are people out there who want to be free the same way she does.There's a lot more to the book than that, but there's also a lot less. I just felt that with the plot being so unique, it should have been more exciting then it really was. It was like a large part of the world-building and the plot was left behind. Some of the scenes could have been expanded on. It felt too rushed and not paced out enough. There wasn't enough explanation on how things came to be. Like why the King wanted her when there were so many others out there. I didn't buy the lame reason that she was prettier, smarter blah blah blah that was in the book. It just seemed the weakest of all reasons. When I should have been able to experience what Eve was going through, I couldn't. I felt disconnected. I couldn't feel any emotions she was going through. Sometimes a writer can have me bawling my eyes out because I'm so connected to the character that I feel like the character is part of me. Yeah, well, there wasn't any of that in this book. Well, maybe at the very end. What happened at the end was kind of sad.That's not to say I didn't like Eve - because I did. I thought she was brave, loyal and a really kind character, even if at times she was somewhat stupid. Her heart was in the right place. She befriended people who others wouldn't. She went out of her way to help little kids. She was a very likable character.Caleb was good too. He wasn't anything exceptional, but he was the kind of boy main character I like. The fact that he sulked at times only made him seemed more relatable. I loved how he came to help Eve when she needed it. He was definitely the hero-type-of-boy.The secondary characters were a mixed bag for me. Some of them were really cool like Arden, who was quite scrappy and I got to know some of her back story. But, the teacher at the very start - who helped Eve escape - I would have liked to have known why she had helped Eve. What was her motivation? How had she ended up at the school? I had plenty of questions. I will give Anna props though for having a back story for a majority of her characters. It's not often I read about a secondary character's back story. Usually, they're not developed to the same extent.All in all the book was okay and I already have the second book so I will go on to read it. I would recommend this book to anyone who like Dystopian novels.Now for my rating.Two out of five starsThis review can be found here http://magicalmanuscriptsandwritingthings.blogspot.co.nz/