Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein Dark, gritty and strangely compelling are just some of the words that come to mind when I think about this book.Code Name Verity is the story of two young women who live in the World War II era. Each are doing men's jobs as the war in Europe continues. When their plane gets shot down behind enemy lines, or should I say, Nazi-occupied France, it becomes a story of torture, sorrow, survival and maybe even treachery.When I first started reading this book, I will admit to having been slightly confused about the 'voices' of the book, and it was only as I read further that I understood the complexity of it and the book itself. Written in first voice, but alternating between that and third voice as the story continued, there is no denying that this book had the power to suck me into its murky depths, and, yes, I drowned. I cried. There. I said it. My heart broke as much as Maddie's did when I read the last few chapters. The slight bit of hope I had during the story was squashed flat - flatter than a pizza base.I fell in love with these characters - Julie and Maddie. They were both very strong female characters - each doing their best to survive in one of the harshest times you can - during war. Their characteristics seemed so real and their pain and turmoil became mine. That's the sign of a good book. When a reader has a deep connection with the characters it's hard for them not to like, even love, the book they're reading. Yeah, that's how I felt.What made this book even more compelling were the fields the women had chosen to work in during the war effort. I know enough about the Second World War to know that there was a shortage of men so women had to step up and take over their jobs to keep the country running, but these two women went one step further. One was a pilot - the other a spy. And the writing was done in such a way that it felt like there was a story within a story. When it was written in the third voice that was where I learned about the dynamics between Julie and Maddie's friendship and the events that lead up to the crash-landing and capture.There was a lot of information about planes and other things, which I kind of brushed over, even though it was really interesting to learn about things I didn't know much about. I was too caught up with the friendships between the women and the tension and mystery flowing throughout the book. I think as far as the plot goes, it was sensational. Historical fiction, good historical fiction, always knows how to get to me. This book was no exception. I love historical fiction, even if I don't read enough of it. And what's also rare about this book was that there was no romance in it - none, and even though I love romance, I didn't care there wasn't any in this book. It would have felt wrong if there had been.I would recommend this book to everyone. Everyone should give this book a chance so they can discover if it is for them or not. As for me, I loved it.Now for my rating:-5 out of 5 starsThis review can be found here :-http://magicalmanuscriptsandwritingthings.blogspot.co.nz/