The Iron King - Julie Kagawa

A Fae world riddled with the mysterious and the unexpected.All Meghan Chase knows is that she comes from a family that lives in the swamp and who are very poor. She feels ignored, but not neglected. When the boy she's crushing on believes she played a prank on him, he retaliates with a vicious one of his own, leaving Meghan's world crumbling in despair. Only Robbie, her friend, remains at her side. But her world is not what it seems and as the unexpected happens and Robbie turns into a person who she has only ever known in books her life changes and will never be the same again.

There was something about 'The Iron King' that I really enjoyed. Maybe it was the way the characters were done or the way the plot was handled. Or maybe it was because it had elements of my favorite characters from 'A Midsummer's Night Dream' in it. Or maybe it was all of the above.'The Iron King' starts out with a certain kind of reality. How many of us have been accused of doing something we never did and been humiliated by it? That's what happens to Meghan in this book. Worst of all, it was something done to her crush and he retaliates in such a horrible way. It's during this time that the Fae element really comes into play and Meghan finds out that the world is not what she thought it was. Meghan and her friend Robbie, aka Puck, escape into the Fae world - especially when someone special, her brother, is stolen from her.This is a book that has endless action in it. I don't think I ever had a dull moment while I was reading it.

'The Iron King' reminded me a little of 'The Neverending Story', in that it seemed the children were dreaming not of faeries, goblins and other fantasy creatures or worlds, but of something else instead. Haha not saying what because that, I think, would be a spoiler. I did enjoy it when Meghan met up with Machina - the bad guy in this tale. The story line took an interesting when that happened.There was a lot of deception and favors asked for in this book. It makes me shudder to think that a person would refuse to do something just for the sake of doing it without having someone owing them a favor in return. Yet that is how the Fae world works. Maybe it works in the real world as well, but I just can't fathom it.I really enjoyed the characters, particularly Grimalkin. I seem to have a thing for Fae cats.

Puck was exactly the mischievous maker I thought he should be, but he was pretty harmless with it. I had never really thought of Puck as a protector before, but he certainly was in this book. I have a feeling that Meghan's love interest is going to be Ash though I liked Ash, but having him as her love interest just feels so predictable. Puck has always been the underdog and I have a thing for underdogs. I guess it will all come to light in the other books when I read them.

Some of the characters surprised me - like Titania. I never pictured her as evil. I always knew she was prideful and sometimes brutal, but her utter hatred of Meghan actually shocked me. I guess I could understand why though. Meghan was living proof that her husband had strayed.Overall, I really enjoyed The Iron King, which is not surprising since I'm a fan of the author's writing.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy, especially Fae stories.Now for my rating:-Four out of five stars.