The Pool Theory - Alexa Nazzaro

Social issues spill over in this contemporary novel about a young boy who has to deal with an unplanned pregnancy.So many questions came to mind when I was reading this book. How many times have teenagers have had unprotected sex? -raises hand- Or even adults? Let's not leave them out - even if this book is based on teenagers having unprotected sex. How many have believed in a theory that if they had sex a certain way or at a certain time it acted a birth control method? Or risked unprotected sex that could lead to a sexually-transmitted disease like HIV?

'The Pool Theory' addresses all these issues in one thought-provoking novel. Kye Preston believed in a 'Pool Theory'. Believed in it until Annie Cooper, a summer fling, turned up and announced she was pregnant and told him it was his.The strength in this story comes in the fact that it was told in the male POV and we can get to see a teenage pregnancy through the eyes of the father, not the mother. Most books deal with the girl being pregnant and the boy who made her that way is vilified, especially if he doesn't support her the way he should. Kye's story is a good reminder that both sides of the pregnancy are affected. Kye had his own life ahead of him, an almost girlfriend, and a life. In a matter of moments, he was going through pregnancy, abortion and adoption issues. The only thing he's not going through is the physical changes.

This happens all the time in real life.I really think this book was written to make people, particularly teenagers, think about their attitudes towards girls and, yes, boys who find themselves in a situation that they never pictured themselves in. In fact, this book showed slut-shaming at its worst. Why should a person be bullied, or looked down on, because they find themselves in an unfortunate position?

As I mentioned earlier, this book was thought-provoking.It's hard to talk about characters because there are too many I can talk about. They weren't straight-forward characters. Several had me second-guessing them to the point where I wasn't sure if I like them. They had a nice realism to them.Despite the subject matter, 'The Pool Theory' was a quick, almost light, read. The writing flowed well and I would say it almost had an open ending - which is great if you like them. Not so much if you don't.

It's not an entirely clean book, but since it was a book that dealt with teenage sex the scenes were quite tame.All in all, I did enjoy this book, because the story line was something I don't often read much of. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes reading about social issues.Now for my rating:-Three out of five stars(This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for a honest review)