Partials

Partials -

Imagine living in a world where the babies you gave birth to died within three days, or in a world where you were consider breeders at sixteen-years-old.All in an attempt to save the human race. Kira Walker lives in such a world.

This is the pitch for 'The Partials'.

Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the world’s population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island. The threat of the partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to the disease in over a decade. Humanity’s time is running out.When sixteen-year-old Kira learns of her best friend’s pregnancy, she’s determined to find a solution. Then one rash decision forces Kira to flee her community with the unlikeliest of allies. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that the survival of both humans and partials rests in her attempts to answer questions of the war’s origin that she never knew to ask.Combining the fast-paced action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Battlestar Galactica, Partials is a pulse-pounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question—one where our sense of humanity is both our greatest liability, and our only hope for survival.

Kira is a sixteen-year-old girl who is a medical intern. She believes that her leaders are looking for cures to the plague, that is rapidly killing their babies off, in the wrong places. Tired of trying to convince the Senate that they could find their answers in the 'Partials' - a species that they created to help and then went to war with, Kira leads a mission to capture a Partial in her attempt to find a cure for 'RM'.And that's where Samm comes into it.

The concept itself was great, but when I first starting reading it , I felt as if I had walked into a play that had already started without me. I felt as if I was missing pieces of how we got to the 'opening act'. There was a lot I would have liked to have known more of - like what does RM stand for? Is it Reactor Meltdown? It's the only thing I could think it was. Why did the Partials splinter off into separate groups?

There's a brief overview, but that's all it feels like. And then there's the Senate and the Voices - where did they come from. What's their story?But the characters make up for the lack of world building.

I loved Kira. She was a strong character without being kick-ass. It was nice to read about a character who acted like a girl, but still knew her own mind. She was well-liked, had friends who were prepared to die for her, but mainly because they believed in the same thing she did. She was loyal and committed. I admired her.Marcus (Kira's boyfriend) Jayden, Xochi, Madison, Haru, Tovar and a list of other characters only added to the story. Each bringing their own personalities into it.

From Xochi, who hated her senate mother and was a strong advocate to Pro-Choice, to Marcus, who, despite his initial reservations at Kira's intentions, stood by her when she needed him to.And then there's Samm. Samm is a Partial who was caught in the raid. Samm is one of my favorites, but not because he's hot, even though he is, but because of his complexities. He is a loyal Partial soldier who grows into himself once he meets Kira. He is able to separate himself from being part of the 'hive' and is able to determine for himself what is really best for his and Kira's kind.

The writing was lovely too. There were parts that were truly inspirational to me when I read them.So, even though the first part of the book had me scratching my head, I still enjoyed it and will be reading the ongoing sequels.

Three out of Five Stars.