The Jelly Bean Crisis

The Jelly Bean Crisis - Jolene Stockman

This book was a book I had wanted to read forever - a book I entered two giveaways to win and lost out each time. I was absolutely thrilled when Jolene Stockman gave me a chance to read it.

Jolene had me hooked on her book from page one. The reason - I found it extraordinarily relatable. I was that girl who was living the life her mother wanted to me to live and had to fight for my freedom. But in Poppy's case it was her father. The whole story was about a girl's fight to live her own life, and to make choices that were right for her, instead of fulfilling her family's expectations for her. Every single person has a right to that. It was about trying to make sure that the decisions she made now would be the right ones for her in the future.

'The Jelly Bean Theory' was also something I could relate to. 'The Jelly Bean Theory' is about leaving the best stuff for last and getting through that unpleasant stuff first. But, it's more than that because what you may consider awful may be someone's idea of heaven. It's all about perception. You need to read this book to understand what I mean and I really recommend that you do. I loved the truth that was mixed up with this book and I absolutely loved that I could identify with this character.

I've had trouble being able to identify with the characters in the books I've been reading lately, but this book was just what I needed. It was like having a piece of chocolate when you're a chocoholic and you haven't had any for weeks.  Although, the idea of a 'gap month' was pretty odd, I guess it worked in this book. It gave the character a chance to experience different kind of jobs to find out if that was the direction she wanted to go in.

The jobs were interesting and varied, but I had to wonder if they would really fall into place like that in the 'real' world - and then I realized it didn't matter. Because it wasn't about the jobs - it was about what she learned from them.I also liked the touch of romance in this book. It wasn't all in your face like some books are and it wasn't insta-love either. In fact, it really wasn't a big part of the book at all, but there was a slender thread in it all the same.

I really liked Poppy. She was the type of girl who thought she had all her plans in place, and then realized she didn't and that she really had no idea what she wanted, or even if she was doing the right thing. She was a strong, yet funny, character who interacted with other people well. The secondary characters were awesome as well. You had parents who were there and who were actually in the book quite a bit. You had friends and the complications that came about when the friends were in school and Poppy wasn't. You also had other family members, including a grandmother who, along with Poppy's mother, supported everything Poppy did - even to the point of giving her son, Poppy's father, a hard time.

The characters in this book were real and that was what sold me on this book more than anything else.If there were problems in the book, I didn't notice them. I was too busy enjoying the story to pick the technical sides the book apart. Sometimes when you're really enjoying a book, you don't notice anything that bugs you about it. That's how it was for me with this book.

Anyway, my gushing is now over and I'll now give my rating:- five out of five stars.